Turkey With Peach Stuffing
|For peach stuffing|
|Turkey giblets and neck||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Onion||1 , minced|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and grated|
|Dried cranberries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned peaches/2 cups peeled, chopped fresh / thawed frozen peaches||16 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Cut whole grain bread cubes||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turkey||14 Pound (1 Turkey, 12 To 14 Pound)|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Vegetable shortening/Margarine||3 Tablespoon (At Room Temperature)|
|Paprika||3 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||3 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Peach butter||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2. Take a saucepan, add neck and giblets and add water sufficient to cover them. Allow to bring to a boil, lower the heat to minimum and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes for neck and giblets to turn tender. Drain excess water, cool, mince giblets and meat separated from the neck bones.
3. Place a large skillet on medium heat to melt butter. Stir in onions and carrots, stirring intermittently, sauté for 5 minutes. Add the minced meat and cook, stirring intermittently, for 5 more minutes. Add peaches and cranberries.
4. In a large bowl, add bread cubes, salt, cinnamon, sage, pepper, thyme and giblet mixture and toss well. Keep aside the stuffing till used.
5. Discard visible fat from turkey.
6. In the roasting pan, add ¼ inch water, carrot and onion. Keep the rack in the pan. Arrange the turkey, with breast side facing up, on the rack.
5. Loosen the skin, starting with cavity opening, present around breast region. Using a spoon, carefully fill in the stuffing and pat the skin back to retain the shape.
6. Apply shortening to turkey and dust with garlic powder and paprika.
7. Using an aluminum foil, cover the turkey loosely and secure the ends. Roast for about 3 hours.
8. Uncover, baste with pan drippings and continue to roast for 1 hour till turkey breasts turn golden brown and when pierced using a knife, clear juices flow out or till a thermometer inserted in thickest region of thigh shows 185°F to 190°F.
9. Allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature before carved.
10. Serve warm.
Calories 371 Calories from Fat 145
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 131.5 mg43.8%
Sodium 275.1 mg11.5%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 37 g74.6%
Vitamin A 29.8% Vitamin C 4.2%
Calcium 11.6% Iron 21.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet