Stuffed Whole Cornish Hens
|Rock cornish hens||6 Pound (Fresh/Frozen, Thawed)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , diced|
|Onion||1 Small, diced|
|Chicken livers||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|White bread cubes||3 Cup (48 tbs) (From 6 Slices)|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Watercress sprigs||1 (For Garnish)|
1. Remove livers from Rock Cornish hens; set aside; refrigerate gizzards, hearts, and necks to use in soup another day. Rinse hens with running cold water; pat dry with paper towels; refrigerate.
2. Prepare stuffing: In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in hot butter or margarine, cook mushrooms, celery, and onion, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Push vegetables to one side of pan; add chicken livers and Rock Cornish hen livers; cook just until livers lose their pink color. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in bread cubes, sherry, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. Lightly spoon some stuffing into body cavity of each hen. Fold neck skin to back; lift wings toward neck, then fold them under back. With string, tie legs and tail of each hen together. Place hens, breast side up, on rack in open roasting pan.
4. Brush hens with salad oil; lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika. Roast hens in 350°F. oven about 1 1/4 hours, brushing occasionally with drippings in pan. Hens are done when legs can be moved up and down easily, or when fork is inserted between leg and body cavity and juices that escape are not pink.
5. When hens are done, discard strings. Place hens on warm large platter; keep warm. Prepare Gingered Peaches.