Marrow Mashed Potatoes
|Potatoes||4 Medium, peeled and quartered (Yellow potatoes used)|
|Marrows||3 Large (Marrow bones)|
|Yellow onion||1 Small, thinly sliced|
|Leek||1 , thinly sliced (Tender part used)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F.
2. Roast the marrow bones in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes until they are nicely roasted and brown. Set them aside, once done.
3. In a pot of salted water, boil the potatoes until fork tender. Set them aside.
4. In a pan on medium heat, saute thinly sliced leek and yellow onion in oil. Cook until the leeks and onions are soft and starting to brown. Turn off the heat, once they are done.
5. In a large mixing bowl, mash the potatoes with butter. Add the marrow from the bones and continue to mash until you get the desired consistency.
6. Finally, add the leek and onions and combine. Season the mashed potatoes with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon portions of the mashed potato and marrow mixture into a baking sheet in a baking tray and roast in the oven till you get a golden finish.
8. Serve the marrow mashed potatoes with steak, chicken, or pork chops.
Use this mixture for your shepherd's pie and get a good, browned and delicious crust.
1. Salted water
To roast the mashed potatoes mixture:
1. Baking tray & a baking sheet
Calories 519 Calories from Fat 31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.9%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg1.3%
Sodium 84 mg3.5%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.4%
Dietary Fiber 19.4 g77.4%
Sugars 73 g
Protein 19 g38.2%
Vitamin A 8.5% Vitamin C 656.6%
Calcium 63.6% Iron 44.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet