Latkes Hors d'oeuvres and Latkes with Eggs Benedict
|Potatoes||3 , grated|
|Onions||1 , grated|
|Scallions||2 Tablespoon, chop|
|Jalapenos||1 , chopped finely|
|Sweet potatoes||2 , peeled and grated|
|Matzo meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||6 (Two Eggs have to be done Benedict style)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Smoked salmon||4 Small, cooked (Salmon slices)|
|Salmon caviar||2 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||4 Teaspoon|
1. In a bowl, add the sweet potatoes, scallions, jalapenos, 1/2 cup of matzo meal and 2 eggs and mix with hands.
2. Add more eggs and matzo meal for binding, if necessary
3. In a second bowl, add the grated potatoes, onions, 1/2 cup of matzo meal and 2 eggs and mix with hands.
4. Again, add more egg or matzo meal, if required.
5. Add a dash of salt and pepper to both bowls and mix.
6. Heat a pan with oil.
7. Make small flat pieces from the potato mix and place into the hot oil to fry.
8. Do the same with the sweet potato mix.
9. Turn the potatoes mix when they get brown on the edges and cook for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from the stove and place on a tissue to remove excess oil.
11. For the 1st latke variation: Plate 2 latkes, top with smoked salmon and an egg benedict and garnish with pepper and chives.
12. For the 2nd latke variation: Plate 2 latkes, add a dollop of sour cream and some salmon caviar. Garnish with chives.
13. Serve as a yummy appetizer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4436 Calories from Fat 2471
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 279 g428.8%
Saturated Fat 45.9 g229.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1507.5 mg502.5%
Sodium 2853.2 mg118.9%
Total Carbohydrates 368 g122.8%
Dietary Fiber 33.1 g132.6%
Sugars 27.2 g
Protein 128 g255.8%
Vitamin A 895.1% Vitamin C 246%
Calcium 42.2% Iron 82%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet