You don't have to be Jewish to love latkes. We made these savory potato pancakes sing. This is admittedly a labor intensive dish but you can make a bunch and the video shows how to serve it many different ways including: white and sweet potato/jalapeño latkes, eggs benedict using latkes and smoked salmon, and latke hor d'oeuvres using small potato pancakes with toppings. When you cook for yourself you can Save Money, Eat Healthier, Live Greener and Have Fun!
3 , grated
1 , grated
2 Tablespoon, chop
1 , chopped finely
2 , peeled and grated
1 Cup (16 tbs)
6 (Two Eggs have to be done Benedict style)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
4 Small, cooked (Salmon slices)
1. In a bowl, add the sweet potatoes, scallions, jalapenos, 1/2 cup of matzo meal and 2 eggs and mix with hands.
2. Add more eggs and matzo meal for binding, if necessary
3. In a second bowl, add the grated potatoes, onions, 1/2 cup of matzo meal and 2 eggs and mix with hands.
4. Again, add more egg or matzo meal, if required.
5. Add a dash of salt and pepper to both bowls and mix.
6. Heat a pan with oil.
7. Make small flat pieces from the potato mix and place into the hot oil to fry.
8. Do the same with the sweet potato mix.
9. Turn the potatoes mix when they get brown on the edges and cook for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from the stove and place on a tissue to remove excess oil.
11. For the 1st latke variation: Plate 2 latkes, top with smoked salmon and an egg benedict and garnish with pepper and chives.
12. For the 2nd latke variation: Plate 2 latkes, add a dollop of sour cream and some salmon caviar. Garnish with chives.