Whipped Potatoes and Rutabagas
|Rutabaga||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Salt||3 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Light cream/Half and half||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1) Rinse, dry and pare the rutabaga. Slice them into 1-inch cubes to get 4 cups of rutabaga cubes.
2) Rinse, dry and pare the potatoes. Similarly, cube them into 1-inch pieces. You must get 4 cups of potato cubes.
2) In a medium saucepan, pour in boiling water to cover 1-inch. Add in a teaspoon of salt and the cubed rutabaga.
3) Cover the saucepan. Cook over a low flame for about 30 minutes till the rutabaga become tender. Drain them.
4) In a large saucepan, add in boiling water to fill 1-inch. Add in 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt along with the potato cubes.
5) Cook the potatoes covered for about 20 minutes over a low flame. Drain the potatoes when they have become tender.
6) In the same large saucepan, add in the cooked rutabaga and potatoes. Over a low flame, toss them around in the pan. Take the pan off the flame.
7) Mix in the leftover salt, pepper and melted butter.
8) Using a potato masher or an electric mixer, beat the vegetables to a get a smooth texture.
9) Place the pan back over a low flame.
10) Slowly, stir in the cream. Beat to mix the cream well into the rest of the ingredients till it becomes fluffy.
11) When the Whipped Potatoes And Rutabagas has heated through completely, spoon onto a serving dish.
12) Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Calories 322 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.7%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 51.4 mg17.1%
Sodium 1088.4 mg45.3%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.1%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 15.7% Vitamin C 102.6%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet