Cheese Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
|Potatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound, pared and sliced 1/2 inch thick to make 6 cups|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced|
|Carrots||5 Medium, pared, diagonally sliced 1/4 inch thick to make 2 cups|
|For cheese sauce|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ham||2 Cup (32 tbs), cubed, cooked|
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 2 1/2-quart, shallow baking dish lightly.
3. In a large skillet, boil 2 cups water and add potato, onion, carrot and 2 teaspoons salt; cover and cook for 10 minutes until partially tender.
4. Drain and keep aside.
5. In a small saucepan, melt butter; remove the pan from heat and stir in flour, salt and pepper.
6. Stir in milk and blend well.
7. Heat the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to boiling; stir until sauce is thickened and smooth.
8. Stir in 1 cup cheese; cook with constant stirring over low heat until cheese is melted.
9. In the bottom of the prepared casserole, spread half of the potato, onion, carrot and 1 cup ham.
10. Top with remaining cheese sauce, ham, vegetables and sauce.
11. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
12. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender; pierce a fork to check.
13. For browning, uncover in the last 10 minutes and bake, this is optional.
14. Serve it hot for breakfast.