Basil Mashed Potatoes
|Baking potatoes||8 Medium, unpeeled|
|Salt||1 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Packed basil leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Aged gouda cheese/Hard sheep's milk cheese / parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, freshly grated (1/2 Cup)|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), heated|
1) In a large heavy saucepan, place the potatoes.
2) Season the potatoes with 1 teaspoon salt. Pour in enough cold water to cover the potatoes.
3) Place the saucepan over moderately high heat and bring it to a boil.
4) Lower the heat to moderate and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
5) Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, add basil, cheese, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper to puree. Scrape off the sides when necessary.
6) Drain the potatoes and peel the skin off while the potatoes are still warm.
7) In a ricer or a food mill, pass the potatoes.
8) In the saucepan, place the potatoes and add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
9) With a wooden spoon, stir in 1 1/2 cups milk in the potatoes.
10) Add up 1/2 cup more milk until the potatoes are as soft as you like them.
11) Sprinkle remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and place over low heat for 5 minutes, until hot.
12) Stir in the reserved basil puree.
13) In a serving dish, transfer the potatoes and spread the remaining 1 tablespoon oil on top to serve.
Calories 508 Calories from Fat 181
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.3%
Saturated Fat 6 g29.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24.8 mg8.3%
Sodium 1043 mg43.5%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.1%
Sugars 8.1 g
Protein 15 g29.9%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C 36.6%
Calcium 31.1% Iron 19.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet