Pan Roasted Potatoes With Lemon And Marjoram
|Lemon||1 , zested, cut into thin julienne strips|
|Smoked bacon||1 Pound, thickly sliced, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces|
|Small red potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Chopped fresh marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 450°.
2) In a small saucepan of boiling water, blanch the lemon zest for 1 minute.
3) With a slotted spoon, remove the strips of zest from water and soak over paper towels.
4) In the same water, blanch the bacon for 1 minute. Remove from water and transfer on paper towels to soak water.
5) Use a large skillet, preferably cast iron, to heat up over moderate heat.
6) Cook the bacon for 3 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned.
7) Reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon fat and discard the rest.
8) Increase heat to high to smoke out the fat.
9) Fold in potatoes, onion and lemon zest and cook for 1 minute.
10) Place the skillet on the bottom rack of the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
11) Stir well and return to oven to continue cooking until the potatoes and onions are lightly crisped and golden brown, another 10 minutes.
12) Bring out the skillet from the oven.
13) In a serving platter, transfer the potatoes. Season with marjoram, salt and pepper to serve warm.
The zest can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store it inside refrigerator by covering.