Faith Daniels's Pierogi
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose potatoes||6 Large, peeled, cubed large|
|Longhorn cheese||1⁄2 Pound, grated|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Create a hole in the centre and add in the eggs, oil, milk and water. Add flour little by little to the wet ingredients and knead the mixture into a stiff dough.
2) On a floured platform, knead the dough until it become soomth and glossy. Set the dough aside for about 20 minutes, covered with a damp towel.
3) After resting, divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll out each piece into 1/2-inch thickness. Do this one at a time keeping the other 3 portions under the damp towel.
4) In a large saucepan, add cold, salted water. Drop in the potatoes. Let the mixture come to a boil over high flame.
5) Turn down the heat to medium and boil for about 25 minutes until the potatoes turn tender. Drain the potatoes and mash them in a food mill.
6) Transfer the potatoes into a bowl, and while still hot add in cheese, butter and salt.
7) Take a rolled-out dough sheet, and add a tablespoon of the mashed potato mixture in its centre. Fold in one edge over to the diagonal edge making a traingle. Seal the opposites sides shut by pressing down with a fork dipped in cold water.
8) In a large pot of boiling water, drop in the pirogi one by one. Cook for about 15 minutes until the pirogi float to the surface.
9) Drain the cooked pirogi and transfer into a large bowl. Add in the butter and toss well to coat all the pirogi.
10) Serve Faith Daniels's Pirogi on a platter while still warm. Accompany it with a dipping sauce, if desired.
Calories 1281 Calories from Fat 412
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.1%
Saturated Fat 27.4 g137.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 221.5 mg73.8%
Sodium 657.8 mg27.4%
Total Carbohydrates 180 g60.1%
Dietary Fiber 13.2 g53%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 39 g78.6%
Vitamin A 28.2% Vitamin C 147.3%
Calcium 49.7% Iron 56.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet