Rutabaga And Potato Puree
|Rutabaga||2 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (1 large size)|
|Baking potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (2 large size)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Use a heavy medium saucepan, to heat up over moderately high heat.
2) Cook the bacon for 6 minutes, until it begins to brown and the fat is released.
3) Add the rutabaga and pour in 4 cups of water to the saucepan.
4) Bring the water to a boil over moderately high heat.
5) Cook the bacon for 40 minutes, until very tender.
6) Drain the rutabaga and discard the bacon.
7) Just 20 minutes before the rutabaga is ready, place potato chunks and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan.
8) Pour in enough water to cover.
9) Bring to a boil over high heat.
10) Lower heat to moderately high and cook the potato chunks until tender, about 15 minutes.
11) Drain the potatoes.
12) In a food mill fitted with a medium disk, place the rutabaga. Puree and transfer into a medium bowl.
13) In the food mill, place the potatoes and puree into the same bowl.
14) Combine both the puree.
15) Alternatively, use a potato masher to thoroughly mash the rutabaga and potatoes.
16) Add butter, sugar, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to beat into the mixture.
17) Serve the puree warm with any main dish.
Keep the puree warm, by transferring to a heatproof serving dish and placing in a low oven for up to 30 minutes.