1) Cut carrots into 1-inch chunks.
2) Cut potatoes into quarters.
3) In a 3-1/2-quart saucepan, combine carrots, potatoes, and 2 cups water; cover and bring to boil.
4) Lower the heat; simmer 40 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
5) Drain well.
6) Again place the vegetables in saucepan; and with portable electric mixer or potato masher, mash the vegetables until smooth.
7) Then heat slowly, stirring, over low heat, to dry out, about 5 minutes.
8) Add milk, 1 tablespoon butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; beat until fluffy.
9) In a serving dish, pile the mash lightly.
10) Sprinkle rest of butter on top and serve.