Spicy Potatoes and Okra
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Tamarind paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Corn oil||8 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Onion seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Onions||4 , sliced|
|Coconut milk||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)|
|Ground sesame seeds||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon (Or Pulp)|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon (Or Pulp)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Corn oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Okra||8 Ounce, trimmed (250 Grams)|
|Baby potatoes||10 , halved and boiled|
|Chopped fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh red chilies||2 , roughly chopped|
1. Mix the tomato puree, tamarind paste and 150 ml (1/4 pint) of the measured water in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat 5 tablespoons of the oil in a haandi or a heavy-based saucepan, add the onion seeds, mustard seeds and the curry leaves and fry for about 30 seconds, then add the onions and fry until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, blend together the coconut milk, ground sesame seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, ginger pulp, salt, turmeric, garlic pulp and chilli powder. Pour the mixture on to the onions in the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the remaining measured water, cover the pan and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the onions and spices are cooked and the sauce has thickened, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of the corn oil in a karahi or deep frying pan, add the okra and cooked potatoes and fry for about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan with a slotted spoon, draining as much oil as possible, and add them to the pan with the onion sauce.
5. Return the pan to the heat, add the chopped fresh coriander and chopped red chillies and gently heat through the vegetables. Transfer to a serving dish and serve at once.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2944 Calories from Fat 2245
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 258 g396.2%
Saturated Fat 63.9 g319.6%
Trans Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 0.31 mg0.1%
Sodium 2272 mg94.7%
Total Carbohydrates 138 g46%
Dietary Fiber 37.2 g149%
Sugars 44.2 g
Protein 39 g78.5%
Vitamin A 124.3% Vitamin C 291.1%
Calcium 79.9% Iron 88.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet