How to Make Creamy Homemade Mashed Potatoes
|Russet potatoes||8 Medium, cleaned|
|Chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs) (or more)|
|Half and half/Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sour cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||8 Tablespoon (+ 4 teaspoons if adding after mashing.)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Paprika||To Taste (Optional)|
|Garlic powder||To Taste (Optional)|
|Rosemary||To Taste (Optional)|
1. In a pot put whole potatoes and pour the chicken broth to cover.
2. With a lid cover the pot and bring to a boil.
3. Cook the potatoes for about 30 minutes or until fork tender.
4. Drain the potatoes and set aside. Retain the broth if required.
5. In a small saucepan, add half n half, butter and sour cream. Warm it a little, but do not boil.
6. While cream sauce is heating mash up the potatoes.
7. Add in the cream mixture a little at a time, stirring after each addition till combined.
8. If the potatoes are too thick then add more broth or half and half to adjust the consistency. At this point add the extra butter if using.
9. Season with paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper (Chives and parsley are good as well). Add little at a time and taste after each addition.
10. In a serving plate, serve the mashed potatoes with a choice of main dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2050 Calories from Fat 1039
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 118 g182%
Saturated Fat 74 g370.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 318.4 mg106.1%
Sodium 2276.3 mg94.8%
Total Carbohydrates 225 g75%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 34 g68.2%
Vitamin A 83.4% Vitamin C 116.6%
Calcium 34.9% Iron 59.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet