Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
|Potatoes||6 Medium, thinly sliced|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs) (scalded)|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
1. Parboil the potato slices in salted boiling water in a large saucepan; drain. (This keeps scalloped potatoes from curdling.)
2. Layer about one-third in a buttered, 8-cup baking dish.
3. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a cup; sprinkle about half over the potatoes; repeat the layers, ending with potato slices on top; dot with butter or margarine.
4. Pour scalded milk over potatoes (milk should be just visible between top slices); cover.
5. Bake in moderate oven (375°) for 45 minutes; uncover; sprinkle cheese over top. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are tender and cheese is melted. (If potatoes are to stand before serving, pour an additional 1/2 cup scalded milk over just before adding cheese and baking for the last 15 minutes.)