Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
|Russet potatoes/Yukon gold / thin skinned red / white potatoes||3 Pound|
|Milk/Fat skimmed chicken broth||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Butter/Regular / nonfat sour cream, cream cheese / neufchatel light cream cheese||1⁄4 Pound (8 Tablespoons, At Room Temperature)|
1. In a covered 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 quart water to a boil.
2. Peel and rinse potatoes (or if desired, scrub potatoes and leave skin on). Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks.
3. Add potatoes to boiling water, cover, and return to a boil, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes mash easily, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat milk or other liquid in a microwave-safe container in a microwave oven at full power (100%) just until steaming (don't boil). Or warm in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium heat.
5. Drain liquid from potatoes (save liquid if using instead of milk). Mash potatoes with a potato masher or a mixer; or press (peeled only), a portion at a time, through a ricer into another pan. Add butter or other fat, seasoning choices, and hot milk, a little at a time, and mix or beat until potatoes have desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If potatoes have cooled, stir occasionally over low heat until hot; or warm in a microwave oven.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2126 Calories from Fat 933
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 106 g163%
Saturated Fat 65.9 g329.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 283.4 mg94.5%
Sodium 635.1 mg26.5%
Total Carbohydrates 267 g89%
Dietary Fiber 17.7 g70.9%
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 43 g85.7%
Vitamin A 65% Vitamin C 129.3%
Calcium 65.1% Iron 65.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet