Potato and Squash Hash
|Potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/4-inch dice (Idahoâ®)|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Calabaza/Regular pumpkin for a denser consistency. any squash will do for flavor||3 Cup (48 tbs), peeled, seeded, cut in 1/4-inch dice|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, toasted|
|Ground coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon, toasted|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, toasted|
|For orange oil|
|Fresh chives||4 , chopped|
|Potato gaufrettes||4 (Idahoâ®)|
|For orange aioli and orange oil|
|Egg yolks/2 1/2 tablespoons pasteurized egg yolks||1|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Idaho potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), peeled and cut in 0.25 inch dice|
|Canola oil||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
|Calabaza/Use regular pumpkin for a denser consistency. any squash will do for flavor||3 Cup (48 tbs), peeled seeded and cut in 0.25 inch dice|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Toasted)|
|Ground coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Toasted)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Toasted)|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Orange aioli||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Smoked bacon||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely diced|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste (Use Fresh)|
|Chives||4 , chopped (Use Fresh)|
|Freshly squeezed orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use Fresh)|
|Egg yolk/Substitute 2 0.5 tablespoons pasteurized egg yolks||1|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon, freshly squeezed|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Canola oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Combine potatoes and 6 cups oil in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until to 170ºF. Adjust heat to maintain temperature and cook until potatoes are fork tender, 12 to 18 minutes, taking care to maintain temperature. Remove potatoes with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels, reserving the oil. Set aside to cool.
2. In mixing bowl, toss pumpkin with cumin, coriander, black pepper, salt, sugar, paprika, cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Bake on sheet pan in preheated 350ºF oven until pumpkin is fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes; cool.
3. Prepare Orange Aioli: In a sauté pan over medium heat, reduce orange juice to 1/4 cup; cool. In small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard; slowly whisk in oil. Add half the reduced orange juice. Thin with water to desired consistency.
4. Prepare Orange Oil:Transfer remaining reduced orange juice to a bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup reserved oil from cooking potatoes.
5. In sauté pan over medium heat, slowly render bacon until meaty but not crisp, about 5 minutes. Pour off some of the fat. Add potatoes and pumpkin; season to taste with salt and pepper and heat gently. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup Orange Aioli.
6. Divide potato mixture among 4 ring molds that have been placed on serving plates. Press gently to compact then carefully remove molds. Top each with 1 teaspoon Orange Aioli; drizzle 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons Orange Oil around rings. Garnish each with chopped chives and an Idaho® Potato gaufrette.
Please see video