|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (any type of milk such as skim or reduced fat)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (optional)|
|Garlic powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)|
|Russet potatoes||3 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and thinly sliced (soaked in ice water for 1 hour, then drained)|
|Onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare roux, in a boiling pan melt butter and add flour to it. Whisk well until the consistency turns thick.
- Add milk, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, beaten egg (tempered) and bring the bechamel sauce to light boil. Add cheese and stir until it melts.
- In a buttered casserole dish, spread half of potatoes and sprinkle salt and pepper. Layer onions on top of it, pour half of béchamel sauce, half of butter and sprinkle half of cheese.
- Top with remaining potatoes and repeat layering.
- Pop the dish in oven and bake at 400° for 1 ½ hours until the top turns golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Calories 1025 Calories from Fat 462
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80.7%
Saturated Fat 30.7 g153.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 262.8 mg87.6%
Sodium 991.3 mg41.3%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.3%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 45 g90.6%
Vitamin A 35.3% Vitamin C 51.9%
Calcium 83.5% Iron 28.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet