Port And Apples
|Small tart apples||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, cored|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Whole ginger||1 Inch|
|Port||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a saucepan, combine sugar, 2 1/2 cups water, cinnamon and ginger.
2) Add the thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon.
3) Place the saucepan over heat and boil for 10 minutes.
4) Strain the liquid and cool.
5) In a bowl, place the apples and pour this syrup over.
6) Cover with a plate to marinate overnight.
7) Next day, transfer the apples and syrup to an enameled saucepan.
8) Place the enameled saucepan over heat and simmer until tender.
9) With a slotted spoon, remove apples.
10) In a shallow serving bowl, place the apples. Combine port with syrup and strain it over apples. Add few drops of red food coloring to syrup, if desired. Garnish the apples with a little whipped cream, if using.