Provencale Rabbit In Tawny Port
|Rabbit||3 Pound, cut into 8 to 10 serving pieces (Liver And Kidneys Reserved)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried tarragon||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Pitted prunes||12 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Onion||1 Large, halved and thinly sliced|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs), defatted|
|Tawny port||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Medium)|
|Red currant jelly||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped (For Garnish)|
1) Wash the rabbit pieces and dry them gently.
2) Remove the fat from kidneys and keep them aside.
3) In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, vinegar, thyme, tarragon, and pepper.
4) Mix in prunes and rabbit along with kidneys and liver, tossing them well.
5) Marinate the mixture, covered, for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature or keep in refrigerator for a whole night.
6) Take off the rabbit pieces, kidneys, and liver from the marinade and rub off excess marinade, saving it for later use.
7) In a large heavy casserole, over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté rabbit, liver and kidneys in it, in small batches, until they turn golden brown, tossing once or twice.
8) Keep them aside and then brown onion in the same casserole for about 2 minutes after reducing the heat.
9) Mix in flour and continue stir cooking for 2 minutes longer.
10) Pour in broth, port, and currant jelly and then cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
11) Mix in prunes and saved marinade and add in rabbit pieces and kidney, keeping the browned liver aside.
12) Partially cover and cook the rabbit for 20 minutes over low heat.
13) Take off the cover and again cook for 20 to 30 minutes more until the rabbit is soft.
14) Slice the liver into small cubes and mix it with the ingredients in casserole.
15) Adjust seasonings.
16) Decorate with chopped parsley and serve hot at once.