Port And Prunes
|Dried prunes||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Ruby port/Sweet sherry / mature homemade dessert wine||8 Fluid Ounce|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint (284 Milliliter)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
1. In a small saucepan, soak the prunes in water. Cover the pan and allow the prunes to soften overnight.
2. Place the saucepan with soaked prunes on a low flame.
3. Simmer the prunes until they are soft and pulpy. Take pan off the heat, cool and then drain the prunes, reserving the liquid for another purpose.
4. Stone the prunes and place them in a blender or food processor along with port, sherry or dessert wine. Liquidise the prunes, to a thick puree. Keep aside.
5. In a clean dry glass bowl, use a hand beater to whisk the cream and sugar until it is double in volume.
6. Pour the puree into the bowl and use a spatula to fold it into the cream.
7. Immediately spoon the cream into glass dessert bowls or champagne saucers
8. Refrigerate until chilled.
9. Serve chilled.
10. Garnish with flaked almonds or pistachios if desired.