Korean Food: Pork Kimchi Stew (돼지고기 김치찌개)
|Well fermented kimchi||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kimchi broth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (the liquid or Kimchi juice from the kimchi jar)|
|Green onion stalks||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red hot pepper||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs) (Optional)|
|Hot pepper powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cooking oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|For the pork marination|
|Pork||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooking wine||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Black pepper powder||2 Pinch|
1. On a chopping board, chop the pork into bite-sized pieces.
2. Ina bowl, combine all the ingredients for the pork together and marinate for about 10 minutes.
3. On the chopping board, chop the well-fermented kimchi into ½-inch pieces, slice the tofu into ¼-inch slices, cut the green onions into ½-inch lengths and cut the red hot pepper thinly. Keep aside.
4. In a heated pan on medium-high with sesame oil, fry the marinated pork for about 3 minutes or until the pieces are pink no longer.
5. Add the chopped kimchi, hot pepper powder and cooking oil. Fry for another 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
6. Pour water and the kimchi broth. Once it starts to boil, add minced garlic and salt. Cook covered for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
7. Place the sliced tofu on top of the kimchi and cook covered for another 5 minutes. Occasionally pour some of the soup over the tofu so that the tofu will get good flavor.
8. Add chopped green onions, hot peppers and cook covered for 2 minutes and switch off the heat.
9. Serve the pork kimchi stew in a bowl with a slice of toasted garlic bread.
Calories 185 Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.4%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.6 mg13.2%
Sodium 801.4 mg33.4%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 18 g35.7%
Vitamin A 39.3% Vitamin C 29.2%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 13.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet