Beer Braised Pork
|Pork butt||4 Pound|
|Carrots||2 Large, cut into 3 inch pieces|
|Celery stalk`||2 Medium, cut into 4|
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Large, coarsely chopped (or 1 small)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), coarsely chopped, with juices (or 3 large cloved)|
|Thyme sprigs||5 Medium|
|Parsley sprigs||5 Medium|
|Celery sprigs||5 Medium|
|Ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Beer||12 Fluid Ounce (1 bottle)|
|Beef broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl mix the cumin, salt and pepper.
3. Rinse and pat dry the pork. Liberally rub it with the salt, pepper and cumin mix.
4. Heat a braising pan. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Heat and add the pork. Brown pork evenly on all sides.
5. Remove pork from pan and add 1 more tablespoon olive oil.
6. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Reduce the heat. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
7. Deglaze the pan with a small amount of beer, scraping the brown bits at the bottom. Stir to mix and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and slightly browned.
8. Move the vegetables to the side forming a circle in the middle. Return the pork to the middle of the pan. Add the bouquet of herbs, the remaining beer and the beef broth.
9. Bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven. Cook for 2 to 2 ½ hours, until meat is tender and can be separated with a fork.
10. On a serving plate, slice or shred the pork and serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Calories 956 Calories from Fat 533
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91.4%
Saturated Fat 19 g95.2%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 281.3 mg93.8%
Sodium 2643 mg110.1%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 82 g164.7%
Vitamin A 132.5% Vitamin C 21.9%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 46.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet