|Habanero pepper||24 Large, stems removed and sliced into half (For the Smokey Habanero Chili Powder)|
|Applewood chips||4 Cup (64 tbs), soaked in water for 1 hour, drained well (For the Smokey Habanero Chili Powder)|
|Montreal steak seasoning||2 Tablespoon|
|Peppercorn||2 Tablespoon, coarsely ground|
|Cumin||2 Tablespoon, ground|
|Garlic||4 Tablespoon, mince|
|Smokey habanero chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Pork||7 Pound, cubed|
|Coca-cola||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oranges||4 Large, slice|
|Liquid smoke||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cooking oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. For the Smokey Habanero Chili Powder: Place pepper halves shell side up for barbecuing.
2. Add soaked wood chips to live briquettes and smoke covered for 1-2 hours on low heat.
3. Remove pepper halves and allow to cool. (they should look like prunes, but feel lighter than a potato chip)
4. Grind pepper halves to form a powder and place in an air tight container for use later on.
5. For the Pork Carnitas: Season the pork with Montreal steak seasoning, Peppercorn, Cumin, minced garlic and Smokey habanero chili powder.
6. Heat cooking oil to cover inside bottom of dutch oven.
7. Add half the pork and brown both sides of meat turning once in a single layer.
8. Remove browned meat and place in a separate bowl, and continue to brown the remaining meat.
9. Using a wooden spatula, scrape hardened drippings left over in oven from browning.
10. Add Coca-Cola and browned pork meat into oven.
11. Place orange slices on top of meat.
12. Add enough water to bring liquid level up to the top of the pork mixture & add liquid smoke.
13. Cover and braise for 2-3 hours until meat is tender using one loose ring of briquettes under oven and one full ring of briquettes on oven lid, changing coals. each hour.
14. Remove pork from oven and place in a large bowl and shred.
15. Discard orange peels and braise the left over liquid on high heat.(Full chimney of coals or place over burner)
16. Add the shredded pork and some of the braised liquid back into the dutch oven and caramalize.
17. Serve hot with corn tortillas. You can also use this dish as a stuffing, if needed.