Dutch Oven Carnitas
|Pork shoulder||5 Pound|
|Filtered water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||2 Medium|
|Everyday seasoning||3 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Chipotle powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. In a large stainless steel bowl, place the pork shoulder.
2. Cut the lemons and squeeze in the lemon juice.
3. Pour in the filtered water.
4. Drop in the bay leaves and add the salt.
5. Sprinkle in the Everyday seasoning.
6. Allow the meat to rest in the marinade for 6 hours or more in the refrigerator.
7. Before you are ready to cook, pre heat the oven to 275 degrees Farenheit.
8. Chop the onions and the garlic roughly.
9. Split open the jalapenos, remove the seeds and cut into strips.
10. In a bowl, mix in the coriander powder, cumin powder, chipotle pepper powder and paprika.
11. Take the meat out from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels.
12. In a sheet pan, place the dried pork shoulder.
13. Generously sprinkle in the spices on all the sides, pressing it in with both hands so that it forms a crust.
14. Heat a Dutch oven and pour in the olive oil.
15. Place the meat in it with the fat side down and give it a sear on all sides about 4 minutes on each side.
16. Add the chopped onions and garlic in it.
17. Place the sliced jalapenos on top of the pork shoulder. Take care to have the fat side on top so that as the fat is rendered, the meat remains soft.
18. Add chicken broth to the pan.
19. Set the oven rack such that the Dutch oven receives equal amount of heat from all sides.
20. Let it sit in the preheated oven for 4 hours.
21. Take it out of the oven and remove the chilies from the top.
19. In a roasting pan, lift and transfer the pork shoulder.
20. Use two forks and pull the pork from the bone and shred it.
21. Season the meat with a little salt and everyday seasoning.
21. Set the oven to Broil at 450 degrees Farenheit and place the roasting pan on the top rack for 15 minutes for the meat to crisp up.
22. Take it out from the oven.
24. Serve the Carnitas on a Napa cabbage leaf with chipotle mayo sauce on top or on a bun as in a pulled pork sandwich.
Calories 463 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45%
Saturated Fat 10 g50.1%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 140.6 mg46.9%
Sodium 1716.3 mg71.5%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.8%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 41 g82.1%
Vitamin A 22.4% Vitamin C 52.9%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 21.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet