Costolette Di Maiale Alla Pizzaiola
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Pork loin chops||6 (middle cut, 1 inch thick)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Crumbled dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry red wine||6 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||1⁄2 Pound, drained, pureed|
|Tomato puree||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green peppers||1⁄2 Pound, seeded and cut in 2 x 1/4 inch strips|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, whole if the mushrooms are small, quartered or sliced if big in size|
1. In a heavy frying pan add 2 tablespoons of oil.
2. Add the chops in the oil and brown them for 3 minutes each. Check to see if both sides are browned. Transfer the chops in a plate.
3. Pour away the excess fat.
4. Cook oregano, bay leaf, salt and garlic for 30 seconds. Stir continuously.
5. Add wine and boil so that the liquid reduces to 3 tablespoons. Scrape any bits or herbs which cling to the pan.
6. Add tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir well.
7. Place the chops in the frying pan again.
8. Add the sauce. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes over low heat. Baste in between.
9. In another large pan add the remaining oil and heat.
10. Add green pepper and fry for 5 minutes. Keep stirring so that the peppers do not stick to one another.
11. Add mushrooms. Toss with peppers for 2 minutes. Transfer them with the pork chops in the pan.
12. Cover the pan and simmer 5 minutes.
13. Uncover and simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in between till the stock thickens and the vegetables and pork is tender.
(Tips: In case sauce is thin, remove the vegetables and chops from the sauce. Boil the sauce over high heat to reduce the sauce and thicken it.)
14. Serve Costolette Di Maiale Alla Pizzaiola in heated dish. Spoon the sauce and vegetable on top before serving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1883 Calories from Fat 970
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 109 g167.1%
Saturated Fat 27 g135%
Trans Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 469.1 mg156.4%
Sodium 1674.9 mg69.8%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g16.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.8%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 155 g309.2%
Vitamin A 55.6% Vitamin C 355%
Calcium 32.2% Iron 71%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet