Hot and Sour Kidneys
|Pig's kidney||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cider vinegar/White rice vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Oil||1 Tablespoon (Preferably Ground Nut)|
|Fresh ginger slice||1|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh ginger||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cider vinegar/Chinese white rice vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Dark soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Roasted sichuan peppercorns||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Chicken stock/Water||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. With a very sharp knife, remove the outer kidney membrane and split the kidneys in half by cutting horizontally.
2. Now, with the help of the knife, remove any small knobs of fat and any tough membrane surrounding it.
3. Score the kidneys in crisscross pattern and slices them thinly.
4. In a bowl mix the kidney slices with bicarbonate of soda and leave it for about 20 minutes.
5. Now rinse them thoroughly with cold water and mix them with the vinegar and salt.
6. Put them into a colander or sieve to drain for 30 minutes or longer.
7. Remove and pat dry on paper towel.
8. Heat a wok until it is very hot, add the oil and ginger stir fry for about 20 seconds.
9. Now add the kidney slices and stir fry for about 1 minute.
10. Now add the sauce ingredients and mix with the kidneys.
11. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until the kidney edges begin to curl.
12. Heat a serving platter till it is warm, take out the kidney mixture onto it, garnish with the spring onions, and serve immediately.