Braised Pork with White Beans Kale and Winter Tomatoes
|Dried white beans||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Small)|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon, divided|
|Boneless pork shoulder roast||1|
|Carrots||2 , coarsely chopped|
|White onions||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 can)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Garlic bulb||2 , cut in half (plus 4 minced garlic cloves)|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Kale||1 Pound, leaves torn into bite-size pieces (1 bunch)|
1) In a bowl, soak the beans in water overnight; drain.
2) In a pot, cook the beans in salted water for about 1 hour until tender.
3) Drain and reserve the juice from stewed tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes and keep aside.
4) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5) In a large ovenproof casserole, heat 2 tablespoons oil over a medium-high heat.
6) Season the pork with salt and pepper and sear in hot oil until evenly browned.
7) Remove the pork from pan; pour off the drippings, reserving a few teaspoons.
8) Stir in the carrots, onions and celery; stir frequently and cook until the vegetables are browned.
9) Stir in the vinegar and cook for about 1 minute.
10) Then stir in the drained juice from stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, garlic bulbs and thyme.
11) Bring the liquid to a simmer and add the pork shoulder.
12) Place the casserole in oven, and cook uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours turning the pork several times, until pork is very tender.
13) Remove the pork from the casserole and place the casserole with braising juices on the stove top over a high heat.
14) Boil rapidly until the liquid is reduced to 4 cups; strain.
15) In a large saute pan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over a medium heat.
16) Stir in the kale and saute for 1 minute.
17) Stir in 4 minced garlic cloves, reserved stewed tomatoes and white beans.
18) Pour in the strained braising liquid and simmer for about 5 minutes until kale wilts.
19) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
20) Serve the Braised Pork with White Beans Kale and Winter Tomatoes immediately.