Braised Pork with White Beans Kale and Winter Tomatoes
|Dried white beans||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Small)|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon, divided|
|Boneless pork shoulder roast||1|
|Carrots||2 , coarsely chopped|
|White onions||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 can)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Garlic bulb||2 , cut in half (plus 4 minced garlic cloves)|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Kale||1 Pound, leaves torn into bite-size pieces (1 bunch)|
1) In a bowl, soak the beans in water overnight; drain.
2) In a pot, cook the beans in salted water for about 1 hour until tender.
3) Drain and reserve the juice from stewed tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes and keep aside.
4) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5) In a large ovenproof casserole, heat 2 tablespoons oil over a medium-high heat.
6) Season the pork with salt and pepper and sear in hot oil until evenly browned.
7) Remove the pork from pan; pour off the drippings, reserving a few teaspoons.
8) Stir in the carrots, onions and celery; stir frequently and cook until the vegetables are browned.
9) Stir in the vinegar and cook for about 1 minute.
10) Then stir in the drained juice from stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, garlic bulbs and thyme.
11) Bring the liquid to a simmer and add the pork shoulder.
12) Place the casserole in oven, and cook uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours turning the pork several times, until pork is very tender.
13) Remove the pork from the casserole and place the casserole with braising juices on the stove top over a high heat.
14) Boil rapidly until the liquid is reduced to 4 cups; strain.
15) In a large saute pan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over a medium heat.
16) Stir in the kale and saute for 1 minute.
17) Stir in 4 minced garlic cloves, reserved stewed tomatoes and white beans.
18) Pour in the strained braising liquid and simmer for about 5 minutes until kale wilts.
19) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
20) Serve the Braised Pork with White Beans Kale and Winter Tomatoes immediately.
Calories 609 Calories from Fat 190
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.1%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.9 mg5.6%
Sodium 785.4 mg32.7%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.6%
Dietary Fiber 15.1 g60.4%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 32 g64.3%
Vitamin A 311.9% Vitamin C 184.3%
Calcium 34.1% Iron 63%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet