Sweet And Sour Fried Pork
Salt and pepper to taste
Chinese rice wine - 1 tablespoon
Egg - 1, beaten
Plain flour - 2 tablespoons
Oil for deep-frying
For the sauce:
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Onion - 1 small, cut into small cubes
Green pepper - 1/2 small, cut into small cubes
Carrot - 1 small, cut into small cubes
Light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Soft brown sugar - 2 tablespoons
Rice vinegar - 3 tablespoons
Tomato sauce (ketchup or puree) - 1 tablespoon
Chilli sauce (optional) - 1/2 teaspoon
Stock or water - about 4 fl oz (100 ml)
Thin cornflour paste - 1 tablespoon
1. To prepare the pork cut it into small bite-size cubes (about the size of a walnut).
2. To make the sauce in a pan heat the oil and stir-fry the vegetables for about 1 minute, then add the seasonings with the stock or water, bring to the boil and thicken with the cornflour paste.
3. In a bowl marinate the pork pieces in the salt, pepper and wine for 15-20 minutes.
4. Coat the meat with the egg and flour, deep-fry in moderately hot oil (180°C/350°F) for about 3-4 minutes and stir it to separate the pieces.
5. Remove and drain.
6. Reheat the oil, re-fry the meat for another minute or until golden brown, remove and drain.
7. Now add the pork pieces, blending well so that each piece of the pork is coated with the sauce.
8. Serve the pork pieces hot coated with the sauce.