Soul Food Pork Roast With Glazed Vegetables
|Ham stock||1 Quart|
|Black-eyed peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), dried|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Pork chops||16 Ounce|
|Collard greens||16 Ounce|
|Frozen corn||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, squeezed|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1) Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) before baking.
2) Using 2 1/2 quarts (2.4 1) of water, make ham hock stock, instead of 2 quarts (1.9 1).
3) Chop the hock meat roughly and keep aside so that we have 1/2 cup (118 ml).
4) Take a large saucepan and pour 3 cups (708 ml) of stock in it.
5) Stir in peas and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
6) Lower heat and then simmer the mixture for about 25 minutes until tender.
7) Pour oil on a dinner-size plate and sprinkle on the fresh cracked black pepper.
8) Take an 11-inch (28-cm) ovenproof pan and place it over medium-high heat.
9) Coat both sides of each pork chop with oil and pepper.
10) In the heated pan, place the pork chops and brown for about 2 minutes on one side.
11) Toss over the chops and cook the chops for 15 minutes in preheated oven.
12) Take them off from the pan and keep warm.
13) For the Glaze, pour the remaining 3 cups (708 ml) of ham hock stock into the pan along with the roasting juices.
14) On the stovetop over high heat, cook the stock and scrape up the pan residues.
15) Into a fat strainer pour the stock.
16) Take a large saucepan and heat the pan juices from the fat strainer jug in it.
17) Mix in collard greens and reserved ham hock meat and cook it for 4 minutes over medium heat.
18) Stir in corn, cooked peas, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
19) Take it off from heat and mix in arrowroot slurry.
20) Stir the mixture gently until thickened.
21) Cook it, covered, until just heated through, ensuring not to stir too roughly as the peas would be broken.
22) Take dinner plates and make a mound of the vegetables on it.
23) Arrange a chop in the center and sprinkle a spoonful of glazed vegetables over each chop.
24) Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve at once.
Calories 530 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.4%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 78.3 mg26.1%
Sodium 583.6 mg24.3%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.2%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 44 g89%
Vitamin A 158.1% Vitamin C 71.4%
Calcium 24.8% Iron 35.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet