Glazed Smoked Pork With Buttered Carrots And Cabbage
|Boneless smoked pork shoulder butt||3 Pound|
|Apricot preserves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||4 Large, cut on diagonal into 1/8-inch-thick slices (Pared)|
|Salt||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shredded cabbage||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Remove wrapping from pork butt.
2. In 6-quart kettle or Dutch oven place butt and cover with water.
3. Add peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf and bring to boiling.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-1/4 hours (45 minutes per pound), or until pork is fork-tender.
5. Remove from heat and let it cool in water about 2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 375F.
7. In shallow roasting pan place meat from after removing from cooking liquid.
8. Spread apricot preserves over top and bake, uncovered for 40 minutes.
To prepare Buttered Carrots:
9. In 1 inch boiling water, cook carrots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the sugar 10 minutes until tender.
10. Drain add 2 tablespoons butter cover and keep warm.
11. To prepare Buttered Cabbage:
12. In 1 quart boiling water with 1 teaspoon salt, cook cabbage for 5 minutes just until tender.
13. Drain well and toss with butter, vinegar, remaining salt, and the pepper.
14. Arrange cabbage in center of large platter.
15. Cut pork butt into 1-inch slices and place on cabbage.
16. Arrange carrots around edge of platter and serve.