Roast Pork With Sauteed Peppers
|Loin pork||5 Pound|
|Dried thyme leaves||4|
|Dried sage||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Green and red peppers||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Pan drippings||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiling water||200 Milliliter|
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Wipe pork with damp paper towels.
3. In small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons each salt and rosemary, 1-1/2 teaspoons each oregano, thyme, and sage and 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and nutmeg.
4. On fat side of meat with paring knife, make 1/2-inch- deep slits on back of roast between ribs and.
5. Take the herb mixture, press half of it into slits and rub remaining on the surface of meat.
6. Insert meat thermometer in center of roast, away from bone.
7. In shallow roasting pan without rack place roast, fat side up, such that the roast rests on bones.
8. Scatter with onion and carrot around roast and roast about 3 hours until meat thermometer registers 185F.
9. Remove roast to heated platter.
10. Surround roast with sautéed sweet peppers and keep warm in low oven.
To make sautéed sweet peppers:
11. Wash the peppers and slice into 3/4-inch-wide strips, removing ribs and seeds.
12. In hot oil in large skillet, saute onion and garlic, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
13. Add peppers, saute, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
To Make Herb Gravy:
14. Pour pan drippings with onion and carrot mixture through strainer.
15. Reserving 1/4 cup drippings ,discard onion and carrot.
16. In 1-quart saucepan, combine reserved pan drippings and the flour mixing until smooth and set aside.
17. Into roasting pan, pour 2-3/4 cups boiling water and return to boiling, loosening brown particles and brown drippings from pan.
18. Continue boiling about 2 minutes and slowly pour boiling liquid into flour mixture, stirring briskly with wire whisk.
19. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, 1/8 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon sage, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and dash nutmeg.
20. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
21. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 5 minutes.
22. Stir with wire whisk just before serving.
23. Serve about 2-1/2 cups with roast.