Penny Wise Pork Platter
|Smoked boneless shoulder butt/Cottage roll||2 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Potatoes||4 Large, pared and quartered|
|Brussels sprouts/1 package of 10 ounces, frozen brussels sprouts||1 Pound, washed and trimmed|
|Carrots||6 Medium, scraped and cut into 2-inch pieces|
1. In a large kettle, add meat, water, onions, cloves and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove from heat, and measure 1 cup of the liquid from the kettle for cooking the vegetables. Reserve. Return the kettle to the heat and cook till meat is tender.
3. In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots and the reserved cooking liquid along with ½ cup of water. Cook for 25 minutes until tender. Drain using a colander or sieve. Reserve liquid for broth
4. Remove meat from kettle and place on serving platter. Arrange vegetables on around the meat.
5. Continue cooking the liquid till it reduces to half a cup.
6. Slice meat into a half inch thick slices. Serve with broth on the side
7. Serve fresh, boiled rice too