Alsatian Casserole Of Pork Chops, Potatoes And Onions
|Pork loin chops||4 (1 Inch Thick)|
|Boiling potatoes||4 Large, pared and thinly sliced|
|Onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), lightly crushed|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Fry 2 slices of the bacon in a large skillet until crisp; crumble and reserve. Trim fat from chops; brown chops in bacon drippings.
2. Arrange half the potatoes in a layer in a deep baking dish or Dutch oven, preferably earthenware or enameled cast iron. Top with half the onions; sprinkle with half the salt and pepper.
3. Place chops over onions, overlapping, to form a single layer. Add remaining potatoes and onions, salt and pepper.
4. Crush caraway seeds; add to baking dish with wine and garlic. Place remaining bacon over top. Cover with a double thickness of foil, then with lid.
5. Roast in slow oven (300°) 2 1/2 hours, or until meat and potatoes are tender. Discard bacon; skim off fat, if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley and crumbled bacon. This is very good with mustard and beer.
Calories 524 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 80.8 mg26.9%
Sodium 624.7 mg26%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.5%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 32 g63.8%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C 120.9%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 21.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet