|Salt pork||1 Pound, diced|
|Onions||4 Large, minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Yellow cornmeal||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sliced green olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a pan, gently fry the salt pork until crisp; saute the onions and garlic in the pork drippings until golden and keep aside.
2) In the upper part of a double boiler bring the water to a boil; add the seasonings and stir in the cornmeal gradually ; cook covered over the boiling water for about 45 minutes.
3) When thickened, add the salt pork, onions, and olives; pour into a well greased square pan and allow to stand until the next day.
4) Just an hour before barbecuing the meat, place the well-oiled 1/2 -inch slices of the cold mush on a grill over hot fire.
5) The slices will loose moisture and shrink, then become crisp when done.
6) Stack them up on the side of the grill while the meat is cooking.
7) Serve immediately in a nice plate.