Country Pork with Parsley Cobbler
|Boneless pork shoulder||1 Pound, diced (450 Gram)|
|Swede||1 Small, diced|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Parsnips||2 , sliced|
|Leeks||2 , sliced|
|Celery sticks||2 , sliced|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄4 Pint (750 Milliliter / 3 2/3 Cups, Boiling)|
|Tomato puree||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Pearl barley||2 Ounce (50 Gram / 1/4 Cup)|
|Celery salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Plain flour||5 Ounce (150 Gram / 1 Cup)|
|Baking powder||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Low fat fromage frais||90 Milliliter (6 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Fry the pork without fat, in a non-stick pan until lightly browned.
2. Add the vegetables to the pan and stir over a medium heat until lightly coloured. Tip into a large casserole dish, then stir in the stock, tomato puree, parsley and pearl barley.
3. Season with celery salt and pepper, then cover and place in the oven for about 1-1 1/4 hours, until the pork and vegetables are tender.
4. For the topping, sift the flour and baking powder with seasoning, then stir in the fromage frais and parsley with enough cold water to mix to a soft dough. Roll out to about 1 cm / 1/2 in thickness and cut into 12-16 triangles.
5. Remove the casserole from the oven and raise the temperature to 220°C/ 425°F/Gas 7.
6. Arrange the triangles over the casserole, overlapping. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until well risen and golden.