Smoked Pork Shoulder Orloff
|Smoked pork picnic shoulder||1|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Mixed pickling spices||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Finely chopped mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth||1 Teaspoon (1 Envelope)|
|Liquid red pepper seasoning||2 Drop (Few Drops Required)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Process gruyere cheese||1 Ounce, diced (From A 6-Ounce Package, 1 Wedge)|
1. The day before serving, place pork shoulder, water, onion and pickling spices in a large kettle. Slowly bring to boiling; lower the heat; cover. Simmer for 2 hours. Remove from the heat. Cool completely in cooking liquid.
2. The next day, prepare stuffing: Saute onion and mushrooms in butter or margarine in medium-size skillet, over low heat, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until very tender. (Do not brown.) Stir in sherry and salt; toss with bread crumbs.
3. Remove skin from picnic shoulder; trim off fat. Slice the meat into neat, thin slices, keeping the slices in the order they were sliced. Place uneven pieces of meat in lightly buttered baking dish. Arrange slices, overlapping on top, with about 1 tablespoon stuffing between slices.
4. Prepare sauce: Melt butter or margarine in medium-size saucepan. Stir in flour, instant chicken broth and red-pepper seasoning; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles. Stir in water and milk slowly; continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and bubbles 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Spoon sauce over meat.
5. Bake in moderate oven (375°) for 30 minutes, or until the cheese sauce is lightly browned and hot.