Pear Braised Pork Chops With Cabbage
|Bosc pear/Anjou pear||1 Small|
|Green cabbage||1⁄4 Pound|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lean center cut loin pork chops||3⁄4 Pound, well trimmed (4 Pieces, 1/4 Inch Thick)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen apple juice concentrate||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thawed|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, lightly crushed|
1. Core and peel the pear and chop it roughly. In a food processor with shredding blade, shred the pear, onion and cabbage.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the pork lightly in the seasoned cornstarch, reserving the excess.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pork chops and cook 5 minutes per side.
4. Slowly add the apple juice concentrate and bring the liquid back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove the pork chops to a plate and cover loosely.
5. Add the shredded pear, onion and cabbage to the skillet. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the reserved cornstarch mixture and the lemon juice.
7. Add the caraway seeds, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the cornstarch mixture, and stir until slightly thickened. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until the cabbage is just tender.
8. Return the pork chops to the pan and cook them 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1168 Calories from Fat 494
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55 g84.9%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g78.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 195 mg65%
Sodium 1441.2 mg60%
Total Carbohydrates 110 g36.6%
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g47.2%
Sugars 56.4 g
Protein 65 g129.4%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 110.9%
Calcium 13.4% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet