Filipino Pork Estofado
|Pork||3 Pound, cubed|
|Dried bay leaves||3|
|Whole peppercorn||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrot||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced|
|Plantain bananas||4 , sliced diagonally, 1 inch thick|
|Vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced garlic||5 Tablespoon|
|Cooking oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Heat a frying pan and pour 3/4 cups of cooking oil.
2. When the oil is hot enough, fry the sliced plantains until the color of each side turns medium to dark brown. Set aside.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of cooking oil in a separate cooking pot then apply heat.
4. When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and sauté until the color turns light brown.
5. Add the cubed pork and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
6. Put-in the soy sauce, water, whole peppercorns, and dried bay leaves then bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender.
7. Add vinegar and wait for the liquid to re-boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add brown sugar and carrots. Stir then simmer for 10 minutes more.
9. Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the cooking pot to a serving plate.
10. Garnish with fried bananas then serve.
11. Share and enjoy!
Calories 1353 Calories from Fat 687
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g119.2%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 224.5 mg74.8%
Sodium 2909.4 mg121.2%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g28.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.7%
Sugars 41.4 g
Protein 81 g161.3%
Vitamin A 201.7% Vitamin C 69.9%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 35.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet