Pork Roast With Olives And Rice
|Pork loin roast||7 Pound|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), slivered|
|Chicken broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sliced pimiento stuffed olives||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Saffron rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Score fat side of pork roast; insert garlic in slits. Place, fat side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer in roast so that tip rests in thickest part of the meat.
2. Combine broth, vermouth, sage, and pepper; pour over meat.
3. Roast at 325°F until meat thermometer registers 170°F, basting occasionally. Total cooking time will be about 2 1/2 hours. The last hour of cooking time, add 1/2 cup of the sliced olives to liquid in pan.
4. Transfer roast to a heated platter; keep warm.
5. Remove olives; reserve to add to rice along with remaining olives. Use liquid for the gravy.
6. Spoon the Saffron Rice onto platter around the roast. Accompany with the gravy. Special Gravy: Skim excess fat from reserved liquid. Measure liquid and add enough water to make 1 3/4 cups. Return liquid to pan or pour into a saucepan and bring to boiling. Stir a blend of 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water into boiling liquid; boil 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into a gravy boat.