Braised Marinated Five Flower Pork With Spinach
|Five flower pork||2 Pound|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As Required)|
|Sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Ginger root slices||3|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Star anise clove||2|
1. Cut pork in l inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt. Add water. Let stand 15 minutes; then drain.
2. Add sherry to meat and toss gently. Let stand 15 minutes more. Drain, reserving sherry.
3. Crush garlic and ginger root. Cut leek and scallion stalks in 3-inch lengths. Meanwhile bring remaining water to a boil.
4. Heat oil in a heavy pan. Add ginger, leek and scallions and brown lightly. Add pork and brown quickly on all sides.
5. Add boiling water, crushed garlic, reserved sherry, and soy sauce, sugar and star anise. Simmer, covered, 1 hour. Skim off fat.
6. Simmer 1 1/2 hours more, skimming off fat occasionally. (The meat is done when its fatty tissue is tender and translucent.) Meanwhile wash spinach and discard tough stems.
7. When pork is done, remove and keep warm. Pour off gravy leaving 1/2 cup in pan and reheat. Add spinach and cook, uncovered, until softened but still fresh and green; then drain. Arrange spinach on a serving dish with pork cubes on top.