Root Beer Popsicles
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 Large|
|Sugar||6 Tablespoon (1/3 cup)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Root beer||2 Cup (32 tbs) (open 30 minutes before using)|
1. In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat add in the heavy cream and whole milk. Warm cream and milk just before it comes to a simmer.
2. In the meantime, in a heat proof bowl, add in the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. 3. Whisk ingredients together for 2 minutes or until mixture has doubled in size and has become a pale yellow.
4. Slowly ladle in warm cream and milk into the egg mixture and whisk vigorously until eggs become the temperature of the milk.
5. Place liquids back into the sauce pan and place over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon. Do not let it boil.
6. Strain through a sieve into a bowl and place bowl over ice bath and cool completely.
7. If using a traditional ice pop mold, fill 1/4 of the way full of the vanilla mixture and partially freeze, about 30 minutes.
8. Pour in root beer to about 1/2 full and freeze for an additional 30 minutes.
9. Pour in vanilla mixture to fill to 3/4 full and place popsicle stick in the middle, freeze for 30 minutes.
10. Finish the mold by pouring in the root beer and freeze completely, about 1 hour. (Not recommended for instant ice pop makers as the root beer portion will not remove from the mold.)
11. Unmold when set and ENJOY!
Calories 296 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.2%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 109.2 mg36.4%
Sodium 76.3 mg3.2%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 48.4 g
Protein 2 g4.3%
Vitamin A 9.2% Vitamin C 0.24%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet