Pizza Made From Scratch
|Fresh yeast/Dried yeast - 1/2 ounce||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄2 Pint|
|Plain flour||14 Ounce (Plain OR Super Sifted)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (scant teaspoon)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Pint|
|Corn meal||2 Tablespoon (Polenta, as required)|
|Tomato garlic sauce||3⁄4 Pint|
|Mozzarella cheese/Fontina /bel paese cheese||1 Pound, coarsely grated or cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||6 Tablespoon|
1. For the pizza dough, in a bowl take 3 tablespoons lukewarm water and put in the yeast and a pinch of sugar.
2. Make sure the water is lukewarm (110° to 115°F - neither hot nor cool to the touch).
3. Leave it for 2 to 3 minutes, stir the yeast and sugar into the water until completely dissolved.
4. Put the bowl in a warm, and dry place for 3 to 5 minutes or until it is double in volume and the yeast is bubbling slowly (if it does not bubble, start again with fresh yeast).
5. In a warm bowl sift the plain flour and salt or pour in the super sifted plain flour and salt.
6. Prepare a well in the centre of the flour to pour the yeast mixture, 3/8 pint of lukewarm water and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
7. Add and mix the dough with a fork or hands.
8. When it is all gathering into a rough ball, keep it on a floured board and knead until smooth, shiny and elastic, about 15 minutes.
9. (If you have an electric mixer with a paddle and dough hook, put the ingredients into a bowl and with the paddle mix until everything comes together)
10. (Use the dough hook and knead at high speed for 6 to 8 minutes.)
11. Sprinkle flour on the dough to dust it and put it in a large clean bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
12. Keep it in a warm, dry area for about 1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
13. Preheat the oven to Mark 8, 450°F, 230°c.
14. Turn out the dough on a floured surface and punch it with your fists and break off about one quarter of it to make the first of the 4 pizzas.
15. Knead it on a floured board or table for 1 minute, adding a little flour if it seems sticky.
16. With the help of your palm flatten it into a circle about 1 inch thick.
17. Now stretch the circle by holding it in your hands and turning it and pulling your hands apart gently at the same time.
18. Stretch it to about 7 or 8 inches, spread it out on floured board again and make it smooth with your hands, press together any tears in the dough.
19. Now using a rolling pin, roll the dough from the centre towards the edge, turning it clockwise after each roll.
20. Keep rolling until you get a circle about 10 inches diameter and 1/8 inch thick.
21. Using your fingers, crimp or flute the edge of the circle.
22. Put 6 tablespoons of tomato sauce on the base and spread it over with a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, prepare the other 3 pizzas similarly.
23. To make a cheese pizza, sprinkle 6 tablespoons of grated mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake it on the lowest shelf or the floor of the oven.
24. After 5 minutes of baking, reduce the oven temperature to Mark 6, 400°F, 200°c and cook for 10 minutes or until the crust is light brown and the filling is bubbling hot.
25. Take it out and cut it into quarters with a pizza cutter and serve immediately.
26. A pizza can have endless number of toppings ranging from different type of vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, herbs and cheeses as per the personal choice.
27. It is a complete meal in itself but still accompaniments like green salad go well with it.