Cornmeal Pizza With Greens And Fontina
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (Two 1/4 Ounce Each Envelopes)|
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (105° To 115°)|
|All purpose flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Yellow cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Watercress/Arugula/kale||2 Pound, tough stems removed|
|Crushed red pepper||1 Pinch|
|Sliced smithfield ham/Prosciutto||2 Ounce|
|Fontina cheese||1⁄2 Pound, shredded (Italian)|
|Mozzarella cheese||1⁄4 Pound, shredded or cut into thin slices|
1. In a medium bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir gently to mix, then let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup of the flour and the salt and mix thoroughly. Add the cornmeal and another 1 cup of flour and mix well.
3. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup flour on a work surface. Turn out the dough and knead, incorporating the flour a little at a time, until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
4. Punch the dough down, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour longer.
5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
6. Increase the heat to moderate. Add the watercress and cook, partially covered, tossing frequently, until the watercress is wilted and the liquid it exudes has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
7. Stir in the red pepper. Drain the greens in a colander and press with a wooden spoon to force out any excess liquid. When cool enough to handle, chop coarsely and set aside.
8. Preheat the oven to 500°. Working quickly, divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a ball and roll it out on a floured surface to form a pizza round 1/4 inch thick and 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
9. Place a large heavy ungreased baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes. Place two dough rounds on the hot baking sheet, brush each lightly with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil and return to the oven. Bake until pale golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes. Repeat with the other 2 rounds.
10. Spread the ham on the pizza crusts, leaving a 1/2- to 1-inch border. Divide the greens equally among the pizzas, covering the ham. Top with the cheeses, distributing them evenly and covering the greens completely. Drizzle on the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Bake the pizzas, two at a time, until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
Calories 510 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.4%
Saturated Fat 8.4 g42.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48.7 mg16.2%
Sodium 908.8 mg37.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.2%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 21 g42.1%
Vitamin A 79.5% Vitamin C 85.1%
Calcium 38.2% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet