Classic Eggplant Pizza
|Firm eggplant||1 Large|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned tomato juice||16 Ounce (Unsalted, 2 Cups)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Dried oregano||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground (As Desired)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste (Freshly Ground)|
|Low sodium swiss cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Peel the eggplant. Slice it crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
3) In a glass baking dish, arrange the eggplant slices.
4) With lemon juice, sprinkle both sides of the eggplant slices.
5) Let stand, covered, for 1 hour.
6) Then, from the dish, discard the liquid. Keep the eggplant slices aside.
7) In a large saucepan, put the tomato juice.
8) To this, add the vinegar and onion.
9) Bring to a boil, and then simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
10) To this mix, add the oregano.
11) Simmer for 30 more minutes. Keep aside.
12) In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
13) With pepper, sprinkle each slice of the drained eggplant.
14) In the hot oil, saute these slices until fork tender. The slices should turn golden brown on both sides.
15) In a large flameproof baking dish, arrange the cooked eggplant.
16) Now, evenly spread the tomato sauce over the eggplant.
17) Heat in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
18) Remove from the oven.
19) On top of the eggplant, sprinkle the grated cheese.
19) Under the broiler, place this, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
20) This is a perfect appetizer for a party.
Calories 348 Calories from Fat 209
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.3%
Saturated Fat 0.64 g3.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.3 mg21.4%
Sodium 27.7 mg1.2%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.9%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 18 g35.8%
Vitamin A 13.5% Vitamin C 58.6%
Calcium 6.7% Iron 10.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet