|Dry yeast||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Unbleached)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|Chopped basil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1 Tablespoon|
|Red onions||1⁄2 Pound|
|Shredded part skim mozzarella||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a medium-size bowl stir together the yeast, sugar and 6 tablespoons of warm water (105-115°); set aside 5 minutes. Add the all-purpose flour, 5 tablespoons of the whole-wheat flour, the oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and mix well to form a dough.
2. Flour a work surface with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the whole-wheat flour and knead the dough 5 minutes. Rinse and dry the bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel and set aside to rise in a draft-free place 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
3. Meanwhile, for the pesto, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the garlic cloves, and cook 5 minutes. Peel the garlic cloves and place them in a food processor or blender. Add the basil, Parmesan, walnuts, the remaining salt and 1/4 cup of water. Process the mixture 1 minute, or until thick and smooth; set aside.
4. Peel and trim the onions. Trim the eggplant and tomatoes. Cut the onions, eggplant and tomatoes into thin slices; set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 500°.
6. Punch down the dough. Flour the work surface and a rolling pin with the remaining wholewheat flour and roll out the dough to a 12-inch round. Transfer it to a pizza pan or baking sheet and trimp the edges of the dough to form a rim. Spread the pesto evenly over the crust and top it with onions, eggplant and tomatoes. Sprinkle the pizza with mozzarella and bake 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1237 Calories from Fat 408
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.3%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.7 mg22.9%
Sodium 1385.5 mg57.7%
Total Carbohydrates 157 g52.2%
Dietary Fiber 25.4 g101.5%
Sugars 31.4 g
Protein 56 g111.1%
Vitamin A 75.5% Vitamin C 116.7%
Calcium 104.9% Iron 54.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet