Simple Pizza Dough
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Warm water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (10Ã-115 F)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Rosemary/1/4 cup dried rosemary||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Place yeast in small bowl. Stir in the water and the sugar. Let stand for about 10 minutes, then mix.
2. In a large mixing bowl or work bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cornmeal, rosemary, if desired, and salt. Add yeast and olive oil, and mix well.
3. Set dough mixture on a work surface dusted with flour. Knead dough vigorously for about 5 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal parts and shape into balls.
4.Lighdy oil a baking sheet. Transfer dough onto sheet and lightly brush each ball with olive oil. Cover baking sheet with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until dough has doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
5. Dough can be frozen at this point, if desired. Place dough balls in plastic freezer bags and freeze. To defrost, let thaw completely at room temperature before rolling out.
6. Flatten dough ball with heel of hand on lightly floured work surface. The smaller the dough ball, the easier it is to work. Lift and pinch each disk from center outward in a circular motion until dough is thin. Don't worry about the shape and occasional holes.
7. Place dough on a pizza paddle (a "peel," see page 203) that has been liberally sprinkled with cornmeal.
8. Place toppings on dough.
9. Slide pizza onto preheated stone that has been just sprinkled with cornmeal (see page 203) by giving a slight, quick jerking movement forward and then backward. Or put it on an oiled baking sheet.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1406 Calories from Fat 251
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.2%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1934.7 mg80.6%
Total Carbohydrates 248 g82.8%
Dietary Fiber 16.9 g67.5%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 38 g75.4%
Vitamin A 14.6% Vitamin C 9.2%
Calcium 13.7% Iron 101%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet