Hot Pita Pockets
|Lean ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Lean ground pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Tomatoes||2 , diced|
|Bottled barbecue sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Hot Variety)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Leaf oregano||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Green onions||2 , sliced|
|Zucchini||1 Small, cut into julienne strips|
|Sweet red pepper||1⁄2 Small, cut into julienne strips|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Whole wheat pita bread||4 Large, halved|
|Lettuce||4 Ounce, shredded|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded (For Garnish)|
|Pitted black olives||12 , sliced (For Garnish)|
1. In a 2 quart microwave safe casserole dish mix the pork and beef and microwave at full power for 4 minutes (or until the meat turns brown) covered with microwave safe plastic wrap, stirring in between 2-3 times.
2. Remove from the microwave and drain all the extra fat if any.
3. Now mix the barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, chilli powder, cumin and oregano, cover tightly with microwave-safe plastic wrap and microwave at full power for 5 to 6 minutes(or until boiling) stirring twice.
4. Now take a 1 ½ quart microwave safe casserole dish and in it put the green onion, zucchini, red pepper, garlic and water cover tightly with microwave-safe plastic wrap and microwave at full power for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked properly.
5. Take it out and drain any extra liquid and mix nicely with the meat.
6. Open the pita bread from one side, leaving the skin half attached, line with the shredded lettuce, ladle in some of the meat mixture and top it with cheddar cheese and olives.
7. Serve it while the meat mixture is still hot with your favourite dip or fries.
Calories 535 Calories from Fat 202
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.2%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 88.4 mg29.5%
Sodium 743.2 mg31%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.6%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.8%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A 91.3% Vitamin C 80.3%
Calcium 25.4% Iron 22.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet