Whole Wheat Pita Bread
|For whole wheat pita|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (At 105 To 115F)|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), measured scoop and level|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|For buttermilk pita|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As Needed)|
|For bran pita|
|Flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs), measured scoop and level|
|Bran||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Warm 1/4 cup water and sprinkle yeast over it.
2) Let stand in a warm place about 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) In your food processor, use the METAL BLADE setting.
4) In the work bowl, add flour, salt and bran (if used). Pulse on/off to mix.
5) Pour in yeast mixture through the feed tube while machine is running.
6) Pour in remaining water in a steady stream, only as fast as the flour absorbs it.
7) When making buttermilk version, pour in all the buttermilk. Add water if required.
8) Process the stiff dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
9) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
10) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
11) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
12) Cover with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/4 hour.
13) Punch down dough.
14) Divide the dough in 8 pieces.
15) Prepare a ball from each part and knead for about 30 seconds.
16) Cover balls with plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
17) Preheat oven to 500Â° after 20 minutes of resting.
18) Place the oven rack at the lowest position.
19) Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a Â¼ inch thick circle, when the oven starts to heat up.
20) Use an ungreased baking sheet, to place the circles by flouring the bottom side.
21) Immediately place the sheet inside the oven on the lower rack for about 4 minutes or until they puff.
22) Continue baking for another 4 minutes by turning over.
23) Serve the pitas at once or store by wrapping in a kitchen towel until ready to serve.