Whole Wheat Pita Bread
|Soy flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄3 Cup (37.33 tbs) (Unbleached)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs), luke warmed|
1) Preheat the oven to 450Â°F.
2) In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt and the two tablespoons of sugar.
3) In another bowl, mix the remaining sugar with the yeast and 1/2 cup of the warm water.
4) Set in a warm place for about 10 minutes until the mixture turns bubbly.
5) Stir the yeast mixture and enough warm water into the flour to make a soft dough. The dough should be slightly sticky on the outside.
6) In the bowl, knead the dough until it is smooth.
7) Grease the top of the dough with oil, cover the bowl and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk, for 1 1/4 hours.
8) Punch the dough down, knead briefly and divide into 12 equal pieces.
9) Form each into a smooth ball, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
10) Roll out the balls of dough into rounds about 5 inches in diameter.
11) Place the rounds on an ungreased cookie sheet.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
13) Cool the baked rounds on a board covered with a towel.
14) Serve with a sauce or gravy of your choice.
If you are using a gas oven, you can slide the rounds of dough directly onto the bottom of the oven, four at a time. The bread rounds need to be baked for 8 minutes, or until well fluffed. Watch the bread carefully because it may char.