Turkey Stuffed Pitas
|Turkey breast meat||1 1⁄2 Pound, skinned|
|Lime||1 , juiced|
|Whole wheat pitas||8 Small (Pocket Bread)|
|Shredded lettuce||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For dry marinade|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crushed fennel seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh thyme/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For vegetable filling|
|Avocado||11 Large, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, halved, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|Finely chopped onion||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Green pepper||1 Large, seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|For yogurt dressing|
|Fresh lime juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot red pepper sauce||5 Drop|
|Dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped cilantro||2 Tablespoon|
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a small mixing bowl,
2. Combine the marinade ingredients and mix well.
3. Using a sharp knife make 4 crisscross, 1/3-inch-deep cuts on both sides of the turkey breasts. Arrange in a shallow dish or tray.
4. Coat the turkey with the marinade, rubbing it into the cuts.
5. Refrigerate the turkey and marinate for at least one hour.
6. As the turkey marinates, make the vegetable filling.
7. Preheat the oven to 400° F
8. In a mixing bowl, sprinkle the avocado with the lemon juice and toss to prevent dis-colorization. Add the tomato, onion and green pepper.
9. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
10. For making the dressing, in a glass bowl,
11. Combine the lime juice, vinegar, hot red pepper sauce, honey, mustard, garlic, cilantro and salt and stir or whisk to blend.
12. Gradually whisk in the oil.
13. Finally whisk in the yogurt and refrigerate.
14. In a large heavy-bottomed ovenproof skillet,
15. Heat 2 teaspoons of safflower oil over medium heat.
16. Arrange the turkey breasts and brown on one side for 5 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes.
17. Transfer the skillet to the upper level of the preheated oven
18. Roast the turkey for 10-12 minutes till the meat is tender and cooked through.
19. Remove from the oven and generously squeeze lime juice over the turkey.
20. Allow the turkey to rest for 5 minutes.
21. Slice against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and cut each into thin strips.
22. Place the pitas in the hot oven for 1 minute to soften them.
23. Slit each pita open into a pocket and stuff with shredded lettuce, turkey, and tomato avocado salsa.
24. Top with the yogurt dressing or serve it separately.